Finding summer crafts for preschoolers can sometimes be a challenge because most summer crafts for kids might be above their heads. But we have great news for you because we are sharing the best summer crafts for preschoolers!
So, be sure to pin or print this post because you will want to refer back to these Summer Crafts for preschoolers when your kids want to do a quick art project!
The great thing about these summer crafts for preschoolers is the fact that most of them use supplies you already have on hand!
Preschoolers can make a sidewalk mosaic on a driveway or sidewalk. It’s low-cost and helps teach preschoolers to color inside the lines. It lasts until the next rain (and then you can do it again). It adds a nice bit of outdoor art to your living space.
You will need:
How to make a Sidewalk Mosaic
- Tape off squares or triangles of your surface (the surface of your driveway, walkway, or sidewalk). Make sizes smaller and bigger for an assortment of shapes. The Mosaics look best when they are big so use up all the space!
- When the area is taped off, have the kids color the insides of the shapes with the sidewalk chalk. They can make the shapes a solid color, rainbow, or ombre. Their choice.
- When the shapes are all colored in. Lift up and discard the tape. You will see the tape creates borders between the shapes.
RELATED: 20 Fun Summer Activities for Kids
On the really HOT days, water painting can be a great water activity and summer craft for preschoolers. I love that it is like watching MAGIC as your art dries up and becomes invisible as the sun dries the sidewalk.
You will need:
- Painting tools (kids’ paintbrushes, containers)
How to start your kids off on water painting…
- Have your kids put on their bathing suits (because summer + hot = bathing suit weather.
- Fill containers up with water.
- Hand out the paintbrushes.
- Have your kids “paint” your sidewalk, walkway, or driveway with the water.
With water, kids can make faces on the pavement. Houses. A park. Animals. Handprints. It’s a mess free and cool-down activity for kids.
This activity is great for preschoolers and toddlers!
Lemonade Stand Posters
Lemonade! Fresh, cool, lemonade for sale! Making lemonade stand posters is a summer craft and business skills activity for kids, preschoolers, and toddlers!
What you will need:
How to make lemonade stand posters
- Have your kids write in big letters LEMONADE STAND in the middle of the posters (this is great practice for handwriting and printing).
- Have your kids put the prices per cup on the poster.
- Encourage your kids to decorate the posters with lemons, cups, pitchers, sun and more summer-themed drawings.
You can also make flyers using regular computer paper and put them in neighbor’s mailboxes to promote your upcoming lemonade sale. Kids can create lemonade flyers just like the posters (don’t forget to put your address on the flyers so people know where to go!).
When it’s Lemonade sale day, make the lemonade beforehand (fresh or frozen). Then, put out a little table and chairs for the kids to sell from. Have them tape the posters to the front of the stand to promote their business. Also, you will need glasses for pouring (you can use disposable or reusable – your choice!). You might also want to have a garbage can nearby for disposal of the cups.
Also, these lemonade stand tips might come in handy:
- Have extra coins on hand to make change
- Make a cheat sheet written out for making change
- Have the kids wear sunscreen or hats for sun protection
- Play music (makes it more fun)
- Put the stand at the end of your driveway or on your lawn so you don’t block the sidewalk for pedestrians and bike riders.
- Set a time limit for the stand (maybe start with an hour)
- Keep an eye on the kids while they sit at the stand (you should always supervise kids)
- Talk with the kids about stranger danger and reassure them you are watching them to keep them safe
- Have the kids count up their earnings (money management skills and math!)
- If you have siblings, cousins, or kid neighbors doing the stand together – divide up “jobs” so there is no fighting over who does what.
- Have fun!
Lemonade stands are a timeless summer tradition. You can do it one time or you can make it a weekly event. You can even up your lemonade stand game with a lemonade stand card table cover or decorations.
There are handy families who can build lemonade stands out of wood. You can also get a kit. However, a simple card table and chairs is sufficient. It’s about the salesmanship, posters, and product more than the table!
You could also make matching t-shirts just like salespeople wear at stores!
More Summer Crafts for Preschoolers
Grab some popsicle sticks and some colored paper and have your toddler make flower bookmarks. They will have so much fun as they color the stick green (for the stem) and then cut out and glue various pedals to their flower.
Who says you can’t play with your food?! Grab some fun shaped dry pasta and glue it to a thick sheet of cardstock.
Once it is dried have your preschooler create an art masterpiece with their pasta art.
If you are looking for summer craft for preschoolers that also help with fine motor skills grab out the pasta tube noodles and have your kids string them on a string to make their very own necklace.
Once you have all your supplies go ahead and cut the cardstock the shape of a popsicle stick then glue it to your popsicle stick.
Then let your preschooler decorate their popsicle and create a delicious pretend treat.
They can do something similar by creating ice cream cone treats!
Ice Watercolor Painting
Our new favorite Summer crafts for preschoolers this year has got to be ice watercolor painting. For this activity, you will need liquid watercolors, an ice cube tray, and small popsicle sticks, and thicker paper or watercolor paper.
I hope these summer crafts for preschoolers bring you much joy and entertainment over the next few months!