Summer is here and it is the perfect time to get outside with the kids and do an outdoor Scavenger hunt for kids! Not only does it get you outside, but it helps kids learn to search and find things and learn more about nature, and this outdoor scavenger hunt free printable makes it even easier!
Outdoor Scavenger Hunt for Kids
How to Create an Outdoor Scavenger Hunt
Creating an outdoor scavenger hunt is easy to do and fun too!
The first thing you will want to do is to decide what kind of scavenger hunt you want to go on with the kids.
I prefer to go on an outdoor scavenger hunt that has the kids find certain things like bugs, sticks, people, a dog, etc. This is the outdoor scavenger hunt free printable that you can download below!
I prefer this one for younger kids because it is easy to do and takes very little prep time. Most of the time kids can find the objects as well!
Sensory Outdoor Scavenger Hunt
The other type of outdoor scavenger hunt you might want to consider is going on a sensory outdoor scavenger hunt. This is when kids use their senses to find objects outside.
This could include finding objects that are
Outdoor Scavenger Hunt Tools
In order to have a successful outdoor scavenger hunt, you will want to have the following items to make it easier for you and the kids!
- Outdoor Scavenger List (download free printable below.)
- Camera (leave nature as it is, and take pictures home instead)
- Garbage bag for stray trash you might find
- Magnify Glass
- Flashlight for nooks and crannies
- Small tape measure
- Recognize efforts by awarding prizes for most items found, most unique treasure, dirtiest find, clever observations, etc…
Smart Outdoor Scavenger Hunt Tips
To have a successful outdoor scavenger hunt with the kids these are some great tips to remember when planning.
- Help children understand that not all items will be found, but to have fun searching for them
- Break it up with a picnic
- Throw in a race from this tree to that tree
- Present a challenge to let your kids show off their nature know-how.
- Offer clues to guide children to find the items themselves
- Add some drama by asking them to act different characters while they search for items
- Race against the clock (we need to find a red leaf in the next 2 minutes, on your mark, get set – go!)
- Create teams by inviting other families!
- Print a list for each member
- Sweeten it up with a few Hershey’s kisses hidden where you know they will be found
- Lessen your impact on the environment, leave nature as you found it.
- Play “what am I” using clues from your surroundings
- Do a leaf rubbing
- Identify which foods animals eat
- Examine your findings, asking each child to describe and pass around what they found
Scavenger Hunt Items to Find:
- and more
For the complete list of Outdoor scavenger hunt items download our free outdoor scavenger hunt printable and get hunting with the kids!