Are you having a baby? Don’t miss out on a single thing you need! Here’s a list of the things you won’t want to miss on your baby checklist!
Isn’t it crazy how such a teeny tiny baby can need so much stuff? I don’t know about you, but when I had my first baby I was so overwhelmed with all the lists and I wasn’t sure what I truly needed.
Now that I’m preparing for my second little one, I feel way more confident about my baby checklist! Sure, your baby will need some things to keep them healthy and happy, but if you want to know the items you really need to have, you’re in the right spot.
New Baby Checklist
If this is your first baby, you will need a bit more to get you started on your path to motherhood. Luckily you’ll be able to reuse a lot of what you get if you have more kids, so these things will definitely be an investment.
You should also be sure to start a baby registry. Make sure you add all these items and don’t be afraid to add some fun things too! In my experience, there are a lot of sweet family members and friends that can’t wait to spoil you and your bundle of joy.
Plus, many registries offer discounts and other benefits for completing your registry which is a big bonus when you need to stock up on your new baby checklist items.
A Few Tips for Your Baby Checklist
Before I share my list, here are a few tips to keep in mind when creating your new baby checklist:
- Wait until the end to get diapers, wipes, and other common items. You’ll likely get gifted tons of these and you might not need to purchase any more yourself!
- Make a list of needs and a list of wants. That way you can check off everything you absolutely need first and then sprinkle in some fun things too.
- Talk to your friends about what they like. I love these items on my list but every mom is different and it’s always great to get lots of opinions before making your list.
- Go slow. Getting all of this at once can be overwhelming. Plus going slow gives you something fun to do throughout your whole pregnancy.
Must-Have Items for Your Baby Checklist
Though I could add a million fun things to this list, I wanted to share what I can’t live without on my baby checklist. Check out the links to see my very favorites!
Whether it’s your first, second, or tenth baby, I’ve got all the items here that are a true necessity for your new baby.
Bed & Sleeping
A sweet baby needs a few things to help them sleep safely and soundly. Plus, nothing’s more important for your postpartum experience than helping your baby get a good night’s sleep. With these essentials you’ll be off to a great start.
- Crib, bassinet or another sleeping arrangement
- Mattress pad
- Mattress sheets
- Velcro swaddles
- Light blankets
- Heavy blankets
This section is going to depend a little bit on where you live and what season it is, but these are the absolute essentials! You’ll likely have much more than this with fun outfits gifted to you and the ones you can’t resist buying yourself! A little tip here for first-time mommas: don’t underestimate how many clothes changes your little one will need.
- 5-10 Onesies
- 5-10 Pants or shorts
- 5-10 Shirts
- 4-8 Pajamas
- 4-8 socks
- 3-4 hand mittens, for scratching
- 1 jacket or coat
- 3-5 dress up outfits
- 2-4 hats, either warm or cold
Bath and Diapering
Gotta make sure your baby is nice and clean! Diapering and bathing your baby is going to be a big part of your life for a while, so you don’t want to miss out on any of these items.
- 1-2 Packs newborn diapers
- Size 1+ diapers
- Diaper rash cream
- Baby lotion
- Baby bath or bath seat Check out our baby bath review to find the one right for you!
- 6-8 Soft washcloths
- 2-3 hooded or soft baby towels
- Baby wash
- Baby hairbrush
Whether you’re breastfeeding or bottle-feeding, starting with purees or baby-led weaning, you should be prepared with a few essentials. The amount of each item will depend on your feeding experiences, but it’s helpful to have a little bit of everything.
Don’t forget that you should replace nipples, pacifiers, and other similar items with each new addition to your family to avoid bacteria growth.
- Bottles & bottle nipples. Learn how to find the best bottle for breastfed babies!
- Breast pump
- 3-5 Pacifiers
- 5-7 bibs
- Bottle brushes
- High chair
- 10-15 Burp cloths
- Nursing pillow
Health & Safety
You should always make sure your home has a good first aid kit with bandaids, gloves, ice packs, and other essentials but you may need to add a few new things for your new baby checklist to keep them extra safe by childproofing.
- Baby thermometer
- Infant pain medication
- Gas drops
- First aid kit
- Outlet covers
- Baby gate
- Furniture anchors
- Cabinet locks
- Nail clippers
You’ll want to make sure that your home, car, and family is set up with all the special gear that you and your baby will need. Here’s a list of my must-have baby gear items for your new baby checklist.
- Car seat
- Car seat mirror
- Car seat cover
- Baby bag
- Changing pad & covers
- Dresser or other clothing organizers
- Baby monitor Check out the best baby monitors here!
- Play yard
- Stroller Need help finding a stroller? Check out our favorite lightweight strollers!
- Baby Carrier Check out this baby carrier review where we share the top 10!
- Nursing chair Check out the best nursing chair review here!
Don’t forget to have a few things for your little one to play with. Yes, toys are definitely a necessity!
Babies and children learn through play starting at a very young age and getting great toys will boost their development as well as being so much fun. They may not use these toys for the first couple of months, but you still want to have them ready.
Other Items Mom’s Swear By
If you are looking for more things to add to your new baby checklist, try out some of these well-loved items. A lot of new moms say that they cannot live without them.
- Diaper pail
- Changing table
- Wipe warmer
- Baby swing
- Cool mist humidifier
- Bottle drying rack
- Noise machine
Did I miss any of your favorite baby items? Let us know what you love in the comments!