2012 marks 100 years of the Calgary Stampede, a world-renowned 10-day Stampede of western events and several youth and agricultural programs. As part of the celebration, three lucky Canadians will be awared a VIP package for two to experience the Calgary Stampede Centennial.
A White Hat Welcome will occur on May 9, 2012. At 11:30 a.m. local time in Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto, 200 wristbands will be distributed to the public allowing participants into a special area loaded with hundreds of white cowboy hats. In each of the three cities, only one lucky hat will be contain a red envelope with a VIP package including:
- Round-trip airfare to Calgary (if applicable) and two nights accommodation at Hotel Arts
- Two tickets to the sold-out Garth Brooks concert at the Saddledome on Saturday, July 14
- A private Stampede dining experience featuring chef Paul Rogalski at Rouge Restaurant
- Cocktails and tapas at Calgary’s only authentic Spanish restaurant, Ox and Angela
- Two Day Thrill package for the Calgary Stampede, includes Rodeo tickets, a VIP behind the scenes chuckwagon experience, evening show and more
- A $250 gift card to get officially outfitted at Lammle’s Western Wear and Tack
- A look into Calgary’s vast attractions with passes to: Glenbow Museum, Calgary Tower, and the Calgary Zoo
The official White Hat drop will take place in the following cities on May 9:
Vancouver, BC: Vancouver Art Gallery Public Square 12:30 p.m. PDT
Calgary, AB: Stephen Avenue (between 1 street SW and 2 street SW) 12:30 p.m. MDT
Toronto, ON: Yonge and Dundas Square 12:30 p.m. EDT
“We’re greatest together,” says Deanne Carson, vice-president of Marketing and External Relations for the Calgary Stampede. “That’s the message behind the special Calgary Stampede celebrations this year. In 2012 the Calgary Stampede is turning 100 years old and together with Travel Alberta and Tourism Calgary, we’re inviting Canadians to join in the celebrations.”
A symbol of hospitality, the country is encouraged to bring a white hat to Calgary this year and extend a warm welcome to the world.