Cottage bound this summer? You are probably looking forward to those lazy afternoons with the family on the boat. Along with having your boat license, following some simple tips can also ensure you are boat smart this summer
Did you know that 50% of boating deaths took place on a calm sunny day and 40% of people involved in boating fatalities had their boats capsized? Don’t let your family’s summer memories be marred by a tragedy that can be avoided.
- Get Your BOATsmart! Operator Card – All operators of motorized vessels require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card. Test your knowledge, learn boating safety skills and take the official Transport Canada Accredited exam at www.BoatSmartExam.com. Your passengers will be at ease knowing you are qualified to drive them around the waterways.
- Wear a Life Jacket – It’s simple. Wearing a Lifejacket or Personal Flotation Device (PFD) greatly reduces your risk of drowning. Eighty nine percent of people who drown while boating are not wearing a lifeHaving them on board is not enough; Lifejackets don’t work unless you wear them! Be boat smart and make sure that everyone on board is wearing an approved PFD before heading out on the water.
- Don’t Drink and Boat – Alcohol and boating don’t mix – ever. In fact, the effects of alcohol are up to four times greater on the water due of the motion of your craft, the wind, waves and hot summer sun. Keep hydrated by drinking water – and keep the alcohol on shore.
- Be Prepared – Make sure your boat, safety equipment and passengers are prepared for a safe day on the water. Check your local weather before heading out and leave extra gas in the tank for a safe trip home. Have the confidence of insurance protection. Recreational boat insurance is available at www.BoatSmartAssure.com.
- Refresh Your Knowledge – Both novice and experienced boaters can benefit from taking a BOATsmart! Course. From emergency preparedness to right-of-way rules, you’ll learn everything you need to boat with confidence. If you already have your Boating Ontario License but need a quick refresher, be sure to download the BOATsmart! CONNECT APP complete with Free Animated Refresher Lessons for iPhone and Android.
For more information and boat safety advice, please visit www.BoatSmartExam.com.
This post was sponsored by BOAT!smart.