If you aren’t a tofu convert yet, these tofu dessert recipes will probably turn you into one.
Kids are notoriously picky eaters and sometimes it is challenging to get them to eat protein in their diet. But what if I told you that you could sneak in protein to their dessert?
It’s true! With these tasty tofu dessert recipes, you will be giving your kids their much-needed protein as they enjoy a delicious dessert! Tofu desserts is a win-win for everyone!
I mean what kid is going to say no to a sweet dessert that tastes even better than it looks?
Kinds of Tofu
There are a few types of tofu that you will want to know about prior to making these desserts.
The tofu types are:
- firm tofu
- silken tofu
- soft tufu
Silken is used in Japanese dishes. It makes creamy fillings. You will find this in the refrigerated section or in shelve stable packages.
They last for a year or two, so stock up. Make sure to check the date on the package before you buy it.
Easy Tofu Dessert Recipes
The Easiest Mousse
This is my favorite and possibly the most simple of all the desserts I make.
It is thick, rich, and creamy like regular mousse, but takes about 10 minutes start to finish.
How to make tofu mousse
- Take one carton of silken tofu, open it, and put it in a food processor or blender.
- Melt some sweetened dark chocolate (on the stove or in the microwave) and add to the tofu.
- At this point, you can add grated orange peel, almond flavoring, or if it’s an adult-only dessert – break out the Frangelico.
- Puree until smooth. You will need to stop and scrape the edges of the bowl with a spatula a few times.
- The result is smoother than you can imagine.
- Divide up into serving dishes or martini glasses and chill.
You can skip the chocolate altogether and add a sweetener of your choice. Liquid-like an agave nectar, honey, maple syrup, or simple syrup works best. Try adding fresh fruit and herbs. The combinations are truly limitless. Baking Bites has a great recipe for fresh raspberry mousse
Pie variations using tofu
The first time I added tofu to a dessert was in a pumpkin pie I took to a Thanksgiving gathering. It was a don’t ask don’t tell situation. Believe it or not, no one figured out the secret to my fluffy pumpkin filling.
Pies are pretty similar to a mousse. Grab a graham cracker crust and make a coconut or chocolate mouse and fill up the shell. Refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting.
Many of the tofu dessert recipes below also require no baking, so they are perfect summer treats.
Here are a few more recipes to try!
- Pumpkin Tofu Pie
- Alton Brown’s Chocolate Tofu Pie in a Chocolate Cooke Crust
- Key Lime Tofu Pie (not vegan)
- Peanut Butter Tofu Pie
Super Simple Cheese(less) Cake
If you have a little more time, try making a tofu cheesecake. It’s more work than a mousse and you have to use the oven for most of them.
Use in Your Own Favorite Recipes
It is easy to use tofu in your own favorite dessert recipes!
Just use 1/4 cup mashed tofu (any style) to replace 1 egg.
This can be a lifesaver if you’ve run out of eggs in the middle of making muffins, cookies, or other baked goods.
It’s also a nice transition when introducing tofu into your favorite recipes. You’ll be amazed at the results.
Have you made a favorite tofu dessert recipe? Share what it is in the comments!
Check out these other great posts!
- 41 List of Popular Ghetto Names For Boys And Girls
- Top 40 Country Baby Names For Girls And Boys (With Meanings)
- 143 Board Games Trivia Questions And Answers to Play With Family
- 32 Vintage Baby Names That Never Go Out of Style
- Unlocking Greek Mythology Trivia: Fascinating Insights Into Ancient Gods And Heroes