I love green eggs and ham. I do. Especially when they are served in the form of this casserole, a fun lunch idea to serve the kids this St. Patrick’s Day or just something different to offer up during March Break.
Green Eggs and Ham
8 oz dried pasta, about 2 cups (500 mL)
1 head broccoli
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and halved
4 green onions, thinly sliced, white and light green parts
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) milk
1 cup (250 mL) shredded old Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried mustard powder
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded old Cheddar cheese
2 tbsp (25 mL) minced fresh parsley (optional)
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, about 8 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- Remove florets from broccoli and set aside. Using knife, remove any hard knobs from broccoli stems. Chop stem to produce 1 cup (250 mL) of stem bits.
- In boiling salted water, add stem bits and cook for 4 minutes, add broccoli florets and continue cooking 2 minutes longer, drain all broccoli and rinse with cold water.
- Scatter pasta, eggs, broccoli, ham and green onions evenly into a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- In saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat, add flour and cook, stirring to make a roux or paste, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and cook, continue whisking until thickened, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, mustard powder, salt and pepper. Continue whisking until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.
Pour cheese sauce over casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese and parsley over casserole. Bake in 375ºF (190ºC ) oven until heated through and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. (Make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Increase cooking time by 10 minutes.)
Servings:6 (2 cup servings)
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Nutrients Per Serving: Calories: 478 Fat: 22 grams Sodium: 822 grams Carbohydrates: 40 grams Fibre: 4 grams Protein: 30 grams
Recipe and image courtesy of th Egg Farmers of Ontario