Having a hard time cooking with an allergy in the family? We know it can be scary and frustrating …
However, we’ve made meal time a little easier for you! Try these quick and fun snacks with simple substitutions for the top two food allergies!
The American Academy of pediatrics stats that an “allergy to cow’s milk is among the most common hypersensitivity in young children.” Try substituting one of these options for cow’s milk.
- Almond milk
- Coconut milk
- Water, in meals like soups and shakes
- If none of these options are tolerable, you can try nut, oat, or rice milk
1 Egg =
- 1/4 cup sweet or unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 mashed banana
- 1 Tbsp flax seed and 3 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1/4 mashed avocado
Even though eggs are a good source of protein, you can substitute them with items that aren’t protein-based.
Try these instead: All alternatives are both dairy and egg-free
- Almond yogurt
- Earth Balance butter (GREAT for cooking/baking with!)
- Annie’s Bunny Grahams
- Veggie Straws
- Ritz original crackers
Healthy Snack Ideas for Kids with Egg and Dairy Allergies
You need: 3 bananas, peanut butter, and popsicle sticks.
- Melt 1/3 cup of peanut butter
- Place a popsicle stick in the banana and cover the top half with the melted peanut butter (you can always cut the bananas in half to make these smaller )
- Freeze overnight and enjoy!
- Spaghetti and meatballs
- Meatloaf & mashed potatoes
- Ice cream
Keep experimenting and find what substitutions work best for you and your family! We hope these ideas will encourage a wider range of food choices and allow for stress-free meal time. You are doing a great job already. Feel free to share with us your favorite substitutions or snack ideas!