Create an Outdoor Space Where Your Kids Will Love to Play
Summer is here and kids are loving being outside and playing! So we thought it would be fun to share some of the best backyard play ideas, backyard play equipment, and backyard play structures to help keep your kids busy all year long this summer!
Backyard Play Ideas
The yard is full of creativity and fun! Here are some of the best backyard play ideas for kids.
- Chalk art
- Outdoor Scavenger hunt
- Water Table
- Giant Jenga
- Lawn bowling
- Backyard camping
- Water Wall
- Paint with Water
- Paint rocks
- Slip and Slide
- Water guns
- Hunt for bugs and insects
- Firepit (for older kids)
- Tin can bowling- grab some old cans from last night’s dinner and see who can knock them down.
- Ring Toss Game
- Spike Ball
- Jumbo 4 in a Row
- Giant-sized Memory- get some paper plates and print off some of your favorite pictures (2 each) and glue them to the plates. Then flip all the plates over and play a giant-sized game of memory.
- Obstacle Course- what kids don’t love a giant obstacle course? Enough said right?!
- Water balloon games
DIY Backyard Projects
Backyard Play Equipment
There is some great backyard play equipment out there for the backyard that we love at our home!
- Dome Climber– A dome climber is a great addition to any backyard that has space. Kids can climb all over this and in this for hours!
- Tree Climbing Rope– If you have a tree or somewhere to hang this tree climbing rope it will be a welcome addition to any yard!
- Kids Zipline
- Tree Swing / stand-alone swing that is awesome!
- Climbing Rope Ladder
- Playhouse– A great option for younger kids is a playhouse! This backyard play equipment choice will keep them entertained all day long!
- Little Tikes Slide- Little kids need something fun to do outside and this slide is no exception! It is the perfect indoor and outdoor toy for them to play with!
Backyard Play Structures
Backyard play structures might be a little more pricy, and take a bit more time to set up, but kids sure have fun playing with them throughout the whole year and many years to come.
Some things to consider when looking into backyard play structures are:
- your budget
- The age of your kids / will it grow with them?
- The quality of the structure, beam construction, good hardware
- Safety of play structure
- What the structure has to offer, features
- Reviews from other customers- be sure you are selecting something other people are satisfied with and love!
Background Play Structure Features to Look For
When choosing a play structure for outside here are some features you might want to look for!
- A place to hook up an infant swing if you have little ones
- monkey bars/ or a bar to swing from
- 1-2 slides
- Rock wall
- Built-in playhouse under the slide
- Picnic table
- Climbing ladder
Other Fun things for your play structure to have
- Play food
- Tic Tac Toe
- Chalk board
Our Favorite Play Structures
- Step 2 outdoor play center- This is a great setup for smaller kids if you want them to have both swings and a slide
- KidKraft play structure– this backyard playground has a little bit of everything for kids.
- Metal Playground– This metal playground offers a little bit of everything at a super affordable price.
- Fitness Reality Kids– Offers 8 exercise stations for kids to have fun and get in shape.
- Ulitmate Jungle Gym- If you are looking for the ultimate jungle gym this is it for sure!
There you have it! Everything you need to promote backyard play for the kids! What do your kids like to do outside? Share in the comments!