We had so much fun putting our riddles for kids post together. I am always pulling the riddles out randomly to challenge the kids. They love it! But our latest fascination is tongue twisters for kids.
Tongue Twisters have been around for many many years and are such a fun way to try to challenge yourself and your kids to say them to see if you can. It is not always about the speed of the tongue twister but how clearly you can say it too.
Tongue twisters are often similar words which follow one another but differ in certain syllables.
Once your kids learn some tongue twisters you will see them excited to go to school or visit a relative and show off their ability to do tongue twisters.
Be sure to check out how to turn tongue twisters into a fun family game at the bottom of this post!
Tongue twisters aren’t only great and fun to say. They also are a great way to help kids with diction.
People have been making tongue twisters for ages and mainly do it for amusement but many people use them for articulation exercises such as radio hosts and politicians to help with their professional speaking! So if your child has a dream to become an actor, television host, or even a radio DJ host tongue twisters are a great way for them to practice and be prepared for when their big break comes.
Think your family would like a little tongue curling challenge? Ready to make your children laugh? You will find that your children will find the funniest part of tongue twisters are the silly mistakes they make while trying to master these tongue twisters.
“But our latest fascination is tongue twisters …”
Remember when you were a kid and you heard a tongue twister for the first time? It was probably the famous Betty Botter one or perhaps something else that was introduced to you by your parents, friends, or teachers.
You kept trying to get the sentences right and say them as quickly as possible. It was a fun and challenging game that everyone wanted to win.
“Tongue Twisters have been around for …”
Try one of these 130+ tongue twisters for kids!
130+ Tongue Twisters for Kids
We’ve tried to categorize these, but truthfully… They’re all pretty funny and not-so-easy!
Below you’ll find some of our favorite hard tongue twisters, funny tongue twisters and short tongue twisters for kids.
If you’re playing with a very young child, you might want to jump to the shorter tongue twisters… Simply because it will be hard for the younger ones with shorter attention spans to “stay with you” on longer sentences!
35+ Hard Tongue Twisters
All set to twist your tongue to the most extreme level! These unique tongue twisters that are hard on the difficulty meter would be just apt for you.
- Any noise annoys an oyster but a noisy noise annoys an oyster more.
- If a black bug bleeds black blood, what color blood does a blue bug bleed?
- If two witches were watching two watches: which witch would watch which watch?
- Rory’s lawn rake rarely rakes really right.
- She sold six shabby sheared sheep on ship.
- Mix a box of mixed biscuits with a boxed biscuit mixer.
- If you notice this notice, you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing
- The bottom of the butter bucket is the buttered bucket bottom.
- Vincent vowed vengeance very vehemently.
- Does your sport shop stock short socks with spots?
- Many mumbling mice are making merry music in the moonlight.
- The boot black brought the black boot back.
- Super-duper storm troopers whoop it up at Death Star groupers: helmet thrashing, rebel bashing, laser blasting at party poopers.
- No need to light a night-light on a light night like tonight.
- Shave a single shingle thin.
- I saw Susie sitting in a shoe shine shop.
- A big black bug bit a big black bear made the big black bear bleed blood.
- I slit a sheet, a sheet I slit. Upon the slitted sheet I sit
- The sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick.
- Imagine an imaginary menagerie manager managing an imaginary menagerie.
- Kindly kittens knitting mittens keep kazooing in the king’s kitchen.
- Brisk brave brigadiers brandished broad bright blades, blunderbusses, and bludgeons balancing them badly
- Rory the warrior and Roger the worrier were reared wrongly in a rural brewery
- A skunk sat on a stump and thunk the stump stunk, but the stump thunk the skunk stunk.
- Lesser leather never weathered wetter weather better.
- She saw Sharif’s shoes on the sofa. But was she so sure those were Sharif’s shoes she saw?
- To begin to toboggan first buy a toboggan, but don’t buy too big a toboggan. Too big a toboggan is too big a toboggan to buy to begin to toboggan.
- Hassock hassock, black spotted hassock. Black spot on a black back of a black spotted hassock.
- On a lazy laser raiser lies a laser ray eraser.
- Did Dick Pickens prick his pinkie pickling cheap cling peaches in an inch of Pinch or framing his famed French finch photos?
- Betty bought butter but the butter was bitter, so Betty bought better butter to make the bitter butter better.
- Pad kid poured curd-pulled cod.
- If you must cross a course cross cow across a crowded cow crossing, cross the coarse cross cow across the crowded cow crossing carefully.
- Six sleek swans swam swiftly southwards.
- The thirty-three thieves thought that they thrilled the throne throughout Thursday
- As he gobbled the cakes on his plate,
the greedy ape said as he ate,
the greener green grapes are,
the keener-keen apes are
to gobble green grape cakes.
34+ Funny Tongue Twisters
All set for a laughter riot! What could be better than these amazing funny tongue twisters that would make you roar with laughter?
- I saw a saw that could out saw any other saw I ever saw.
- A big bug bit the little beetle but the little beetle bit the big bug back.
- A sailor went to sea To see, what he could see. And all he could see Was sea, sea, sea.
- How much wood could a wood chuck; chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood
- Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair, FuzzyWuzzy wasn’t very fuzzy… was he???
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream
- Toy boat. Toy boat. Toy boat.
- Twelve twins twirled twelve twigs.
- Five frantic frogs fled from fifty fierce fishes.
- A synonym for cinnamon is a cinnamon synonym.
- The great Greek grape growers grow great Greek grapes
- Six socks sit in a sink, soaking in soap suds
- I saw a kitten eating chicken in the kitchen.
- Six sick hicks nick six slick bricks with picks and sticks.
- Background background, black, black, brown, brown.
- If a dog chews shoes, whose shoes does he choose?
- How many yaks could a yak pack, pack if a yak pack could pack yaks?
- Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?
- A big bug bit the little beetle but the little beetle bit the big bug back.
- Double bubble gum, bubbles double.
- Linda-Lou Lambert Loves Lemon Lollipop Lipgloss
- Near an ear, a nearer ear, a nearly eerie ear
- Susie works in a shoeshine shop. Where she shines she sits, and where she sits she shines
- Thirty-three thirsty, thundering thoroughbreds thumped Mr. Thurber on Thursday.
- Fresh French fried fly fritters
- Gobbling gorgoyles gobbled gobbling goblins.
- Many an anemone sees an enemy anemone.
- A shapeless sash sags slowly.
- Smelly shoes and socks shock sisters.
- I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish, but if you wish the wish the witch wishes, I won’t wish the wish you wish to wish.
- I was born on a short, shiny ship at shore
- A snake sneaks to seek a snack
- Birdie in the sky laid a turdie in my eye.
- I was born on a short, shiny ship at the shore.
- Ned Nott was shot, and Sam Shott was not, so is it better to be Shott than Nott?
47+ Short Tongue Twisters (for the younger kiddos)
The whole family can get a laugh out of tongue twisters, right?
But sometimes the littlest ones need something a bit easier.
Their attention span isn’t as developed, and they’ll get lost in the lengthier ones. So we compiled a list just for them!
Even your 2-3 year old children will love getting their tongues tied on these!
- Daddy Draws Doors
- Round and round the rugged rock the ragged rascal ran
- Six slippery snails, slid slowly seaward.
- Crisp crusts crackle and crunch.
- Round the rugged rocks the ragged rascals ran.
- Susie sits shinning silver shoes
- Which wrist watches are Swiss wrist watches?
- Fred fed Ted bread and Ted fed Fred bread
- Four furious friends fought for the phone
- The cat catchers can’t catch caught cats.
- Three fluffy feathers fell from Phoebe’s flimsy fan.
- She should shun the shinning sun.
- Cooks cook cupcakes quickly.
- Betty and Bob brought back blue balloons from the big bazaar.
- Little Lillian lets lazy lizards lie along the lily pads
- Each Easter Eddie eats eighty Easter eggs.
- Green glass globes glow greenly .
- Clean clams crammed in clean cans
- slimey snake slithered down the sandy Sahara.
- She sees cheese.
- Bake big batches of bitter brown bread.
- Which witch is which?
- Elizabeth has eleven elves in her elm tree.
- Red Lorry, yellow lorry
- A proper copper coffee pot.
- Six sticky skeletons.
- Sounding by sound is a sound method of sounding sounds.
- How can a clam cram in a clean cream can?
- Freshly fried fresh flesh.
- A noisy noise annoys an oyster.
- Betty’s big bunny bobbled by the blueberry bush
- Drew Dodd’s dad’s dog’s dead.
- Seventy-seven benevolent elephants
- Willie’s really weary
- Wayne went to wales to watch walruses
- Nine nice night nurses nursing nicely
- Six slimy snails sailed silently.
- Octopus ocular optics.
- Send toast to ten tense stout saints’ ten tall tents.
- Roberta ran rings around the Roman ruins.
- A bragging baker baked black bread.
- Shave a single shingle thin.
- Dick kicks sticky bricks.
- Katie caught the kitten in the kitchen
- Sheep should sleep in the shed
- Spread it thick, say it quick
- The blue bluebird blinks
- Fox on clocks on bricks and blocks. Bricks and blocks on Knox on the box.
14+ Famous Tongue Twisters For Kids & Adults
Tongue twisters would not just delight your kids. They would even benefit them in several ways. The best thing is that they help strengthen their pronunciation and improve intonation. It’s likely for kids to need help pronouncing certain words. Tongue twisters often help clear the stiffness in the tongue, aiding better pronunciation.
Here is a collection of tongue twisters for both kids and adults. The difficulty levels range from easy to hard, depending on the age group.
- Give papa a cup of proper coffee in a copper coffee cup.
- Lucky rabbits like to cause a stir
- One-One was a racehorse.
Two-Two was one, too.
When One-One won one race,
Two-Two won one, too.
- A happy hippo hopped and hiccupped.
- I thought I thought of thinking of thanking you
- Top chopstick shops stock top chopsticks
- Zebras zig and zebras zag
- If practice makes perfect and perfect needs practice, I’m perfectly practiced and practically perfect.
- I thought a thought. But the thought I thought wasn’t the thought I thought. If the thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn’t have thought I thought.
- Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. How many pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?
- She sells seashells by the seashore.
- He threw three free throws
- You know New York, you need New York, you know you need unique New York
- Scissors sizzle, thistles sizzle
Fun Tongue Twisters from Dr. Seuss
We love the tongue twisters above, but we all know no one compares with the original bard of twisting kids’ tongues: Dr. Seuss.
Of course, this book is more than just a set of tongue twisters… It’s a lively classic that kids still love today.
The book is illustrated with all the whimsy of a Dr. Seuss story, and loaded with rhymes and sentences we know you can’t say three times fast.
If this isn’t already part of your collection, it needs to be. Click here to snag Oh Say Can You Say?
You can, of course, just run through the list above but why not make a game of it? Here’s how to play the game:
Print the page, cut out each twister line and put them loosely in a bag.
Go around the table and get each person to pull one tongue twister out of the bag for their challenge.
Depending on the age range of those playing or the difficulty of the twister, you can create mini-challenges:
- See how quickly someone can say their challenge correctly.
- Try saying the twister over and over and count the number times it’s said before the user messes it up.
- Say the twister with a straight face, no laughing (this is harder than you think.
- Play broken telephone, repeating the twister quietly to the person next to you and see what turns out in the end.
When a family comes together for events or holidays, there are many ways they can spend time together and make memories. One of those ways is through silly or engaging games, and something we would highly recommend is tongue twisters.
Why tongue twisters, you might ask? Well, it’s because they’re fun and can be played by people of all age groups.
“Now that you and your kids …”
You could also try your hand at making your own tongue twisters for kids. Do you have a favorite tongue twister that’s not on this list? Share it in the comments!