- Category: School Lunch Ideas
- Published on Monday, 22 August 2011 17:05
- Written by Kathy
- Hits: 854
Try buying a re-usable sandwich bag to keep it green. They wash up easily and you’ll avoid all the BPA’s that can be found in some plastic containers. Plus if they leave it behind at school it’s easily identifiable!
Save those leftovers from dinner for a sandwich or two the next day. And, as you can see below, if you have a can of chickpeas you can make the whole family some mock-tuna sandwiches.
Don’t forget everyone's favorite, the peanut butter sandwich. It’s easy, inexpensive and the variations are almost endless. Add bananas and nuts, serve on apple slices, or even coat it with cornflakes and grill it.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 tablespoons raw onion, minced (optional)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (use a vegan mayo to make it vegan)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala (or curry powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- sandwich bread or wraps, for serving
Add in the other ingredients, mix, taste and season again if needed. This is a great last minute sandwich spread!
More sandwich inspiration:
- Strawberry Lavender Chicken Salad
- Asian Barbecue Baked Tofu
- Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches (pack the filling in a thermos to keep it warm)
- Green Mint Chutney & Cheese Sandwiches
- Cilantro Lime Black Bean & Sweet Potato Filled Pitas