Fall is one of our favourite times of the year to get the kids outside to explore the brilliance of nature. (Who are we kidding, ANY time of year is perfect to explore the outdoors!) Outdoor scavenger hunts offer a great opportunity to sneak a bit of fitness and education with the stacks of fun they will find in the great outdoors. Perfect!
Outdoor Scavenger Hunt Tools
- Outdoor Scavenger List (we’ve saved you the time and made one for you, you can find it here >>)
- Camera (leave nature as it is, take pictures home instead)
- Garbage bag for stray trash you might find
- Flashlight for nooks and crannies
- Small tape measure
- Recognize efforts by awarding prizes for most items found, most unique treasure, dirtiest find, clever observations etc…
Smart Outdoor Scavenger Hunt Tips
- Help children understand that not all items will be found, but to have fun searching for them
- Break it up with a picnic
- Throw in a race from this tree to that tree
- Present a challenge to let your kids show off their nature know-how.
- Offer clues to guide children to find the items themselves
- Add some drama by asking them to act different characters while they search for items
- Race against the clock (we need to find a red leaf in the next 2 miniutes, on your mark, get set – go!)
- Create teams by inviting other families!
- Print a list for each member
- Sweeten it up with a few Hershey’s kisses hidden where you know they will be found
- Lessen your impact on the environment, leave nature as you found it.
- Play “what am I” using clues from your surroundings
- Do a leaf rubbing
- Identify which foods animals eat
- Examine your findings, asking each child to describe and pass around what they found
Outdoor Scavenger List
Download the PRINTABLE SCAVENGER LIST HERE or click image to download and print >>
* Photo by: BeppieK